What is AVMA?
AVMA (Automatic Virtual Machine Activation) lets you activate virtual machines running on a licensed virtualization host without having to deal with each individual virtual machine. The process takes place during the startup process of the virtual machine.
What are the requirements for AVMA?
- Datacenter Edition of Windows Server 2012R2 or 2016 as the management operating system.
- Hyper-V Role Enabled.
What can you achieve with AVMA?
- Activate virtual machines in remote locations. The supported OS level of host and virtual machines is Server 2012R2 and higher.
- Activate virtual machines with or without an internet connection.
- Track virtual machine usage and licenses from the virtualization server, without requiring any access rights on the virtualized systems.
- Use it with SPLA to transparently activate tenants virtual machines.
AVMA in Windows Server 2016.
- Can activate virtual machines running Server 2012R2 and 2016.
- Supported editions of Windows 2016 are Full GUI and Server Core. Nano Server installation option is not supported yet.
- Create a virtual machine and install a supported server operating system on it (2012R2 or 2016).
- Install the AVMA key in the virtual machine using GUI or by running the following command from an elevated command prompt.
slmgr /ipk "AVMA Key"
AVMA keys for Windows Server 2016
AVMA keys for Windows Server 2012R2
Additional information about AVMA can found in the link below:
More posts on Windows Server 2016 Virtualization: